Lighting is one of the main design elements in your home since it sets the tone for each room. While choosing new lighting for your space can be an enjoyable experience, it can also be a daunting task. To make things easy, following is our guide to home lighting that will help you selected your new lights with total confidence.
To establish the feel of space, there are three different types of interior lighting:
- Ambient lighting – fills a room with bright light.
- Task lighting – focuses a beam of light on a work area.
- Accent lighting – highlights the main feature.
From steel fixtures to sleek chrome and period-specific antiques or reproductions, there is a variety of ceiling lighting styles available on the market.
|Fixture Type||Lighting Decor Category||Indicated Types of Room|
|Chandelier||Ambient Light||Dinning Room / Bedroom / Child’s Room / Master Bath / Foyer|
|Flush Mount||Ambient Light||Dinning Room / Kitchen / Playroom / Bedroom / Closet / Hall / Office or Study / Porch|
|Semi-Flush Mount||Ambient Light||Dinning Room / Kitchen / Bedroom / Patio / Foyer|
|Pendant or Island Lighting||Task Light / Ambient Light||Dinning Room / Kitchen / Foyer|
|Recessed Lighting||Task Light / Ambient Light / Accent Light||Hall / Kitchen / Family Room / Playroom / Office or Study|
|Track Lighting||Task light / Ambient light||Hallway / Family Room / Kitchen / Great Room|
Other main types of lighting include:
- Table Lamps: When right chosen these lighting can represent a sculptural piece sitting on your desk or bedside table. One important factor to consider when choosing these lamps is the whole room’s space and setting. Take note that sitting room lamps work best when they have a larger spread of light.
- Floor Lamps: Floor lamps can serve as the center stage of the room or create a cozy corner. Take consideration of scale when selecting the right floor lamp for your space, advice experts. A floor lamp needs to relate the size of the room or furniture close to it. Keep in mind that a large floor lamp can smother a small room while a well-proportioned piece can really make a statement in a living space.
- Wall Lights: Wall light can deliver atmosphere without overwhelming an interior scheme. Very versatile, a wall light will offer a soft and restful illumination to your space while adding an intriguing variety to your lighting scheme.